People around the world have experienced the effectiveness of integral yoga for relieving trauma-related suffering. We are working with partners in Australia, Colombia and Lebanon, and seeking to develop our network further.
In Lebanon, we are partnering with Salam LADC and Research on Yoga in Education (RYE UK) to train 10-15 local yoga instructors to work in Bekaa valley refugee settlements. The aim is to expand our yoga programme to at least 10 new settlements, bringing the tools of yoga to reduce widespread mental health problems among refugees.
Dunna, a non-profit organisation in Colombia, has since 2010 made integral yoga available to demilitarised militants and victims of the decades long armed conflict. More than 1400 people have participated and several studies have shown that yoga is an effective, low cost intervention for PTSD.
Ganges Yoga – Pioneering work with helping war veterans overcome the trauma of war has been done in Australia over the past 20 years. Ganges Yoga is at the forefront of applying yoga in the treatment of trauma-related issues, including post-traumatic stress disorder (PTSD), turning around the lives of men and women who have served in conflicts around the world. Watch a short documentary film, Hope for Heroes, and find out more about the work done by Ganges Yoga at www.lifebeyondtrauma.com.
The Trauma Centre in Boston conducts studies on traumatic memory and how treatment effects trauma survivors’ minds, bodies, and brains. Under the leadership of Bessel van der Kolk, the Trauma Centre has conducted studies exhibiting statistically significant reduction of PTSD symptoms as a result of a short yoga programme.
- Herbert Benson, The Relaxation Response
- Dinah Bradley, Hyperventilation Syndrome
- Helen Cushing, Hope: How Yoga Heals the Scars of Trauma
- David Emerson and Elizabeth Hopper, Overcoming Trauma through Yoga: Reclaiming Your Body
- Donna Farhi, The Breathing Book
- Jim Hartley, Breathing Matters
- Peter Levine, Waking the Tiger
- Tim McCall, Yoga as Medicine
- Swami Niranjanananda Saraswati, Prana and Pranayama
- Swami Satyananda Saraswati, Yoga Nidra
- Glenn R. Schiraldi, The Post Traumatic Stress Disorder Sourcebook
- Bessel van der Kolk, The Body Keeps the Score
- Amy Weintraub, Yoga Skills for Therapists